91% would make again
Meatball-Stuffed Crust Pizza Star
featured in 12 Appetizer Recipes For Pizza Lovers
You’ve probably heard of stuffed crust pizza before, but have you heard of meatball-stuffed crust? That’s right. This pizza recipe completely takes things to the next level. In the middle, it’s your average cheese pizza, but it’s surrounded by a crust loaded with homemade meatballs. It’s the sort of show-stopping party app you’ll want to bookmark for a special occasion.
for 8 servings
- 1 lb ground beef (455 g)
- 1 large egg
- ½ yellow onion, finely diced
- ½ cup bread crumbs (60 g)
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese (55 g)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (10 g), chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon oil, for cooking
- 11 oz pizza dough (310 g)
- ½ cup marinara sauce (130 g)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (100 g)
- olive oil, for brushing
- Calories 439
- Fat 22g
- Carbs 29g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 26g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, egg, onion, bread crumbs, Parmesan, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Roll the mixture into golf ball-sized meatballs.
- In a medium cast iron or nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Working in batches cook the meatballs until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- On a sheet of parchment paper, press the pizza dough into a large circle, about 12 inches (30-cm) in diameter.
- Cut 8 evenly spaced 2-inch (5-cm) slits on the edge of the dough.
- Place one meatball on the edge of the dough between 2 slits. Pull the corners of the dough around the meatball and press into the dough, sealing the meatball in a dough pocket. Repeat with the remaining meatballs.
- With the help of a friend, transfer the pizza and parchment to a baking sheet.
- Spoon marinara sauce into the middle of the pizza and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle mozzarella over the sauce, or add your favorite pizza toppings! Brush the dough around the meatballs with olive oil.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and the dough is golden and just cooked through.
- Slice with a pizza cutter and serve.