97% would make again
One-Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup
featured in 5 Soups To Warm Your Soul
May 04, 2022
for 4 servings
- 2 heads broccoli
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (60 g)
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (40 g)
- 2 cups half-and-half (480 mL)
- 2 cups vegetable stock (480 mL), or chicken stock
- ½ cup shredded carrots (55 g)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (200 g)
- Calories 964
- Fat 76g
- Carbs 50g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugar 16g
- Protein 16g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Trim the stems off of the broccoli heads, then chop into small florets.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and stir until the mixture lightly browns, 2–3 minutes. Pour in the half-and-half and cook, stirring constantly, until simmering. Reduce the heat to low and add the vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5–10 minutes, until thickened.
- Mix in the broccoli, carrots, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Simmer for 10–15 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Add the cheese and stir until it melts and combines with the other ingredients.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve warm.