Portuguese Custard Tarts
Get ready to fall in love with these heavenly tarts that are as flaky as a croissant and as creamy as a custard pie. These Portuguese tarts are truly the ultimate treat!
Under 30 minutes
Under 30 minutes
for 12 servings
- 1 ⅓ cups caster sugar (270 g)
- ½ cup water (160 mL)
- 1 stick cinammon sticks
- 1 cup milk (250 mL)
- ½ cup double cream (150 mL)
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup corn flour (30 g)
- 18 oz puff pastry (500 g)
- Calories 338
- Fat 23g
- Carbs 24g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 1g
- Protein 8g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F).
- In a small pan, place the sugar, water, and cinnamon stick. Simmer for 3 minutes and set aside.
- Combine milk and cream in a saucepan and place over a medium heat. Bring mixture to a boil, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the egg yolks, whole egg, vanilla extract, and corn flour. Whisk until fully combined and no lumps remain.
- Temper the egg mixture by introducing the hot milk and cream in two 100 milliliter batches, then whisk.
- Return mixture to the saucepan and place over a low-medium heat. Whisk continually until mixture thickens. Turn off heat.
- Remove cinnamon stick from the syrup and slowly trickle into the custard, whisking continually.
- Lightly flour a work surface and cut puff pastry into 12 equal pieces.
- To a lightly greased muffin tin, push each piece of puff pastry down and up into the sides of the muffin holes until evenly distributed.
- Pour custard into each muffin tin so each one is three quarters full. Bake for 16-20 minutes until golden and brown.
- Serve warm with a dusting of icing sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Love this recipe? Download the Tasty app to save it and discover others like it.