South African-Style Grilled Cheese (Braaibroodjie)
Sweet mango chutney and sautéed onion and tomatoes take this grilled cheese sandwich to new heights with this unique South African twist. It’s buttery, cheesy, gooey, and absolutely delicious.
for 2 servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, or neutral oil of choice
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 slices white bread
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, plus more for cooking
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- 8 oz shredded gruyère cheese (225 g)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, tomatoes, garlic, salt, and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Transfer the sautéed vegetables to a bowl and set aside.
- Butter both sides of each slice of bread. Spread 1 tablespoon of mango chutney over 2 slices of bread, then top with a handful of shredded Gruyère, ½ cup of the sautéed tomatoes and onion, then another handful of shredded Gruyère. Place the remaining slice of buttered bread on top.
- Melt some butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add a sandwich and cook for 5–6 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and the cheese has melted. Repeat with the remaining sandwich.
- Hate losing that perfect recipe? Save and organize recipes easily on the Tasty app. Download now.