Ultimate Mac ‘n’ Cheese
featured in Easy Vs. Ultimate: Mac 'N' Cheese
This mac n cheese is the ultimate comfort food with its gooey, cheesy goodness and crispy breadcrumb topping, perfect for any day of the week.
August 14, 2023
92% would make again
for 12 servings
- ½ lb bacon (225 g), sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs (100 g)
- ½ cup fresh chives (20 g), chopped
- ½ cup fresh parsley (20 g), chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour (30 g)
- 3 cups evaporated milk (720 mL)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb macaroni (455 g), cooked
- ½ cup cheddar cheese (65 g), cubed
- ½ cup gruyère cheese (50 g), shredded
- ½ cup colby jack cheese (65 g), cubed
- ½ cup smoked gouda cheese (50 g), shredded
- ½ cup provolone cheese (65 g), cubed
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (100 g)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (100 g)
- Calories 567
- Fat 27g
- Carbs 59g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 10g
- Protein 26g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook the bacon crispy and the fat has rendered.
- Add the garlic, bread crumbs, chives, and parsley. Stir and cook until the bread crumbs are toasted, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pot.
- In the same pot on medium heat, melt the butter. Sprinkle in the flour and stir until combined.
- Add the evaporated milk and bring to a simmer. Season with salt, pepper, mustard powder, and cayenne. Whisk to incorporate and smooth any lumps. The sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and stir to combine.
- Add the cheddar, Gruyère, Colby Jack, Gouda, and provolone cheese, then fold the cheeses into the pasta. If it seems too dry, add more milk to your liking.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and top with the shredded mozzarella and cheddar.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the mac ‘n’ cheese is bubbly, melted, and golden brown on top.
- Serve with a sprinkle of the bread crumb mixture for added flavor!
- Your favorite recipes are just a click away. Download the Tasty app to save and organize your favorites.