83% would make again
Watermelon Grill With Fruit Skewers
featured in Creative Ways To Serve Fruit
Inspired by sheknows.com
for 12 servings
- 4 cups watermelon (700 g)
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 6-inch (15 cm) pieces
- ½ lime
- blackberry, enough to cover bottom half of watermelon as "charcoal"
- assorted fruit
- 10 wooden skewers
- Using a melon baller or half teaspoon, make three divots in the bottom of the watermelon that are slightly smaller than the circumference of the celery stalks.
- Cut the watermelon in half, with the bottom side of the “grill” being slightly larger than the “lid” side.
- Hollow out the watermelon halves using either a melon baller or spoon. Save the pieces for the fruit skewers.
- Insert the celery into each divot on the bottom half of the watermelon and secure with a toothpick if needed.
- Insert 3 wooden skewers into the watermelon half along its top edge to start assembling the “grill”, spacing about ½-inch (1 ½ cm) apart. Cut the skewers as needed.
- Fill the grill with blackberries, which will act as your charcoal.
- Finish inserting the rest of the skewers to complete the bottom half of the grill.
- Take the hollowed top half of the watermelon and toothpick a lime half to make the grill lid.
- Assemble your fruit skewers and get “grilling”!
- Add two skewers into the rim of the bottom half of the watermelon so that the lid can rest on it.