Blend all of the flavors of hummus into this creamy soup! Don't forget the toppings--we like tangy feta, fresh parsley, and crispy pita croutons.
for 8 servings
- ¼ cup olive oil (60 mL)
- 1 onion yellow onion, medium, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 2 cups vegetable stock (480 mL)
- 1 cup water (240 mL)
- 15 oz can of chickpeas
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ cup tahini (120 g)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast (30 g)
- sea salt, to taste
- 2 pita breads
- olive oil, to taste
- za'atar, to taste
- crumbled feta cheese, for topping (optional)
- fresh parsley leaf, torn, for topping
- Calories 322
- Fat 30g
- Carbs 29g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 6g
- Protein 4g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, water, and chickpeas. Cover, bring to a simmer, and cook for 10–15 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- Meanwhile, make the pita croutons: Tear the pita into small pieces. Spread on a baking sheet, drizzle with the olive oil, and sprinkle with za'atar. Toss until well coated.
- Transfer to the oven and toast until the pita croutons are golden brown, 7-10 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to purée the soup until smooth and creamy. Stir in tahini, nutritional yeast, and salt.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the pita croutons, feta, and parsley. Serve immediately.
- Don't just wing it -- plan it! Use our meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download here.