94% would make again
featured in 5 Meatless Recipes That Taste Delicious
June 10, 2019
for 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 cup green beans (360 g), halved
- 1 ½ cups short grain white rice (300 g)
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 14 oz diced tomato (395 g)
- 3 cups vegetable broth (720 mL)
- ½ teaspoon saffron thread, crumbled, or 1/2 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cup frozen peas (75 g)
- ½ cup canned artichoke heart (85 g)
- ½ cup vegan chorizon (75 g), optional
- ½ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley (15 g), chopped
- 1 lemon, quartered, for garnish
- Calories 662
- Fat 38g
- Carbs 68g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugar 15g
- Protein 7g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until translucent, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes until it is fragrant.
- Add the yellow bell peppers, red bell peppers, and green beans. Cook stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes until tender.
- Add the rice, smoked paprika, sweet paprika, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Stir until incorporated. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the rice starts to sizzle.
- Add the canned tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes until the liquid has evaporated slightly.
- Add the vegetable broth, saffron threads (crush the saffron threads between your fingertips), and bay leaves. Bring to a boil on high heat. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed by the rice, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the peas, artichokes, and sausage, if using. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let sit covered for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the fresh parsley.