84% would make again
Nashville-Style Hot Wings
featured in 7 Mouthwatering Spicy Chicken Recipes
for 4 servings
- 3 lb chicken wings (1.3 kg)
- 4 cups buttermilk (960 mL)
- ½ cup lard (100 g)
- 1 cup flour (125 g)
Master Spice Mix
- ½ cup cayenne powder (40 g)
- 6 tablespoons onion powder, or dried minced onion
- 6 tablespoons garlic powder, or dried minced garlic
- 6 tablespoons paprika
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- Calories 1288
- Fat 82g
- Carbs 76g
- Fiber 10g
- Sugar 23g
- Protein 68g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Combine all master spice mix ingredients and separate into three equal portions.
- In a large bowl combine chicken wings, ⅓ master spice mix, the buttermilk. Cover and chill for as long as possible (4 hours to overnight).
- Rinse the brined wing pieces and pat dry.
- Mix the flour with another ⅓ of the master spice mix.
- Dredge the chicken wing pieces in the flour/spice mixture. Shake off any excess. Set aside.
- Heat your oil to 325˚F (170˚C).
- Fry the wings for 8-10 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 165˚F (74˚C). The wings will splatter so its a good idea to have a lid nearby!
- Take the wings out and drain on a paper bag or paper towels.
- Place the lard in a saucepan and sprinkle over the last ⅓ of your master spice mix. Once the lard is melted and warm, stir the mixture, and take it off the heat. Immediately baste your fried wings with the lard/spice mix and serve right away!