96% would make again
Sheet-Pan Shakshuka Toast
featured in 7 Days 7 Toast Recipes
Inspired by cooking.nytimes.com
for 9 servings
- 9 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 28 oz chopped tomato (795 g), 1 can
- 9 large eggs
- ½ cup fresh parsley (20 g), chopped, for garnish
- Calories 154
- Fat 8g
- Carbs 11g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 6g
- Protein 10g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Set a wire rack over a baking sheet.
- Arrange the bread slices on the wire rack, then bake for 8 minutes, until slightly toasted.
- Heat the olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add the red pepper and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, cayenne, chili powder, and tomatoes. Stir occasionally for 15 minutes, or until thickened.
- Spoon the shakshuka sauce onto the bread. Spread evenly.
- Make a small well in the center of the sauce on each slice of bread. Carefully add an egg to each well.
- Season the eggs with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the egg whites are set and the yolks are cooked to your liking.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve warm.