Spicy Campfire Queso
Katie goes camping with her husband and brings this delicious and spicy queso to enjoy as an appetizer while they make their dinner. If you don’t like spice, omit the jalapeño and use cheddar cheese cheese instead of pepper Jack. If making while camping, cook the chorizo ahead of time and store in a cooler until ready to assemble.
for 2 servings
- 4 oz fresh chorizo (110 g)
- 6 oz velveeta cheese (170 g), cubed
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese (100 g)
- 2 small jalapeñoes, seeded, 1 diced and 1 thinly sliced, divided
- ½ cup pico de gallo (75 g)
- fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- tortilla chip, and/or vegetables, for serving
- Calories 835
- Fat 66g
- Carbs 8g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 2g
- Protein 49g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and cook until browned and the fat has rendered, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Wipe out the skillet and return to medium heat. Add the Velveeta and pepper Jack cheeses, chorizo, diced jalapeño, and pico de gallo. Cook until the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir until evenly combined.
- Garnish with the sliced jalapeño and cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips and/or vegetables.
- Don't just wing it -- plan it! Use our meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download here.