96% would make again
featured in Easy BBQ Recipes for a Great BBQ
for 8 servings
- 1 ¼ lb strawberry (565 g), cleaned, hulled, and quartered
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour (250 g)
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cubed
- 1 cup heavy cream (240 mL), plus 1 1/2 tablespoons, divided
- flaky sea salt, for sprinkling
- whipped cream, for serving
- Calories 361
- Fat 22g
- Carbs 40g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 11g
- Protein 5g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Marinate the strawberries: in a medium bowl, combine the strawberries, sugar, lemon zest, and salt. Set aside to marinate while you make the shortcakes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the cubed butter and, using your fingers, cut in the butter until pea-sized pieces form and the mixture starts to clump together. Add 1 cup (240 ml) cream and mix just to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a clean work surface and pat into a ¾-inch-thick (2 cm) rectangle. Cut into 8 squares. Use a pastry brush to brush the tops of each square with the remaining 1½ tablespoons of heavy cream and sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of sugar and flaky salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the shortcakes are cooked through and golden on top.
- Cool the shortcakes, then split and serve with the marinated strawberries and whipped cream.