96% would make again
American Chili Cheese Fries
featured in Fries Around the World
Take your taste buds on a wild ride with these American chili cheese fries, loaded with layers of cheesy and spicy goodness. The crispy fries and savory chili make for the ultimate comfort food, perfect for any occasion or just a cozy night in.
May 05, 2023
for 12 servings
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 lb ground beef (455 g)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 12 oz tomato paste (340 g)
- 12 oz chopped tomato (340 g), 1 can
- 2 cups beef broth (480 mL)
- 15 oz black beans (425 g), 1 can, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz red kidney bean (425 g), 1 can, drained and rinsed
- 1 lb french fries (455 g), cooked, hot
- shredded cheddar cheese, for serving
- sour cream, for serving
- green onion, sliced, for serving
- Calories 357
- Fat 12g
- Carbs 41g
- Fiber 8g
- Sugar 8g
- Protein 18g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the beef and stir to break up. Season with the salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and cayenne. Stir and cook until deep brown in color, 10-15 minutes.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, chipotles, and a pinch of salt. Cook until the vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook until it darkens, becomes aromatic, and starts sticking to the bottom of the pan, 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, beef broth, black beans, and kidney beans. Stir to incorporate, then bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Ladle the chili over the fries and top with cheddar cheese, sour cream, and green onions.