Biscuit Bao Buns
This trick might blow your mind! Steam canned biscuit dough for something similar to a traditional bao bun. Use your imagination to fill the buns with your favorite accoutrements, but we went classic with glazed pork belly and pickled veggies.
for 4 buns
- water, for steaming
- 4 unbaked flaky canned biscuits
- nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- 4 slices
- 4 slices
- fresh cilantro
- fresh mint leaf
- Calories 1491
- Fat 65g
- Carbs 200g
- Fiber 6g
- Sugar 38g
- Protein 28g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Fill a wide, high-sided skillet with 2 inches (5 cm) of water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Line a bamboo steamer with parchment paper and cut slits in it to allow steam to escape.
- Meanwhile, gently roll out the biscuits into 3-inch (7.62 cm) rounds. If desired, use a cutter or glass to cut out uniform circles, discarding the scraps. Spray the biscuits with nonstick spray and fold in half.
- Set the steamer basket over the boiling water. Add the biscuits to the basket, spacing evenly. Cover and steam for 5–7 minutes, until cooked through and puffed.
- Gently transfer the buns to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Fill each bun with pickled vegetables, a slice of pork belly, cilantro, and mint.