Chicken Jollof Rice
Chicken jollof rice is a flavorful and spicy West African dish that's sure to satisfy. Made with chicken thighs, rice, and a blend of spices and vegetables, this dish is the ultimate comfort food.
for 6 servings
- 6 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and quartered
- 2 small red onions, 1 quartered, 1 diced
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, or habanero, stem removed
- ½ cup vegetable oil (120 mL), plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs (450 g), cubed
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups parboiled long grain rice (400 g), washed
- 2 stock cubes
- ¾ cup water (180 mL)
- Calories 611
- Fat 26g
- Carbs 70g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 8g
- Protein 29g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Add the tomatoes, red bell pepper, quartered onion, and pepper to a blender and blend until smooth.
- In a pot over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons oil, diced red onion, chicken, and curry powder. Cook until onions are soft and chicken has browned, about 8-10 minutes. Remove chicken from pot and set aside.
- Raise heat to medium-high, and using the same pot, add pureed tomato mixture, cooking until reduced by half.
- Add in remaining oil, and fry sauce for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in chicken, along with rice, stock and thyme leaves.
- Cover pot tightly with foil. Cover with lid and reduce heat to low, cooking for 30 minutes.
- Once rice is cooked, fluff up before serving.
- All your favorite recipes, stored in one place. Download the Tasty app and never lose a recipe again.