76% would make again
Mac And Cheese Bun Burgers
featured in 25 Mac 'N' Cheese Recipes
for 3 servings
- 1 lb macaroni (455 g)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese (100 g)
- 8 oz shredded parmesan cheese (225 g)
- 8 oz american cheese (225 g), cubed
- 12 oz whole milk (355 mL)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (190 g)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 ½ cups panko breadcrumbs (170 g)
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 ½ lb ground beef (680 g), formed into hamburger patties
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- red onion, sliced, to serve
- tomato, sliced, to serve
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions. Drain the macaroni in a colander and return to the pot.
- Add butter, cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, American cheese, milk, salt, mustard powder, cayenne to the pot. Turn heat up to medium-low and stir until cheeses are melted and all ingredients are well combined.
- Remove the pot from the heat and pour onto a parchment paper-lined sheet tray. Spread evenly with a spatula, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Once cooled, use a ring mold or rounded container roughly 4-inches (10 cm) in diameter to cut out 6-8 “buns.”
- Place flour, eggs, and bread crumbs in three separate bowls.
- Dip each macaroni bun in flour, then egg, and finally bread crumbs, coating evenly.
- Preheat vegetable oil to 350°F (175°C).
- Place the macaroni buns gently in oil and fry 3-4 minutes, until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel-lined plate.
- Season hamburger patties liberally with salt and pepper. In a cast-iron skillet over high heat, sear patties to desired doneness, flipping halfway through.
- Place burger between two mac and cheese buns and top with sliced onions and tomatoes.
- Nutrition Calories: 3850 Fat: 280 grams Carbs: 197 grams Fiber: 8 grams Sugars: 21 grams Protein: 133 grams