Turkey Sausage And Pepper Muffins
Start your day with a flavor explosion. The savory turkey sausage, vibrant peppers, and melty cheese are baked into a fluffy muffin, creating a breakfast delight that's packed with protein and bold flavors. Grab one on the go, and let these muffins take your taste buds on a savory adventure!
Under 30 minutes
Under 30 minutes
for 12 muffins
- nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (260 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (240 mL), or 1 cup milk (240 ml) mixed with 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted or olive oil
- ¾ cup turkey sausage (95 g), cooked
- ½ cup white onion (75 g), diced, caramelized
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
- ⅓ cup sun-dried tomato (20 g), chopped
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (100 g)
- 1 cup fresh spinach (40 g), chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil (40 g), chopped
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Grease a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray.
- Make the batter: In a large bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pepper, and sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and butter.
- Add the turkey, onion, bell pepper, sun-dried tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, spinach, basil and Italian seasoning to the egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and fold to combine, being careful not to overmix the batter.
- Using an ice cream scoop, divide the batter between the muffin cups, filling almost completely.
- Bake for 18 minutes, rotating the muffin tin halfway through baking, until browned on top and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before removing the muffins from the tin. Serve or store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Nutrition, per muffin - Calories: 188, Total fat: 9 grams, Sodium: 486 mg, Total carbs: 19 grams, Dietary fiber: 3 grams, Sugars: 2 grams, Protein: 10 grams
- Meal planning made easy with the Tasty app. Download now to see exclusive curated meal plans.