99% would make again
Vietnamese Shaking Beef
featured in 30 Days 30 Asian-Inspired Recipes
June 10, 2019
for 6 servings
- 2 lb boneless beef rib eye (910 g), cut into 1-inch (2 1/2-cm) cubes
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 red onion, sliced into rings
- 2 bunches watercress
- 3 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- cooked white rice, for serving
- Calories 503
- Fat 33g
- Carbs 12g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 8g
- Protein 39g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, garlic, brown sugar, 3 tablespoons of soy sauce, oyster sauce, fish sauce, and black pepper. Toss to combine. Let marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In small bowl, combine the granulated sugar, remaining 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, the white vinegar, and water. Add the red onion and toss to coat in the dressing. Set aside to soak.
- On a platter, arrange the watercress and tomato slices.
- Preheat a large wok or skillet over high heat, then add the canola oil. When the oil is shimmering, swirl around in the pan to coat evenly. Add half of the marinated beef and sear on all sides, shaking the pan, until the meat is slightly charred and medium rare, 3-5 minutes. Remove the meat from the pan and repeat with remaining beef.
- Arrange the beef on the bed of watercress and tomatoes. Top with the dressed red onions and fresh cilantro.
- Serve with domed white rice. For a full meal, serve alongside Vietnamese crepes, spring rolls, and bánh mì sandwiches.